Articles

Sundance 2018 - Day 5 - Roslyn Hernandez
With Roslyn Hernandez on February 09, 2018

It is surprising how being hundreds of miles away from home and in a new environment have turned things upside down. My top priorities in Pasadena are food, school deadlines, and work. In my final few days at Sundance, eating has become somewhat of an afterthought. Dressing for the snow, catching shuttles, waiting in long lines and watching films has taken over my life. Nonetheless, today was a good food day. I was told I had to have a bagel sandwich from Wasatch Bagel Cafe. I had a vegetarian sandwich. Somehow I had not realized I was actually hungry. As I chewed on that first bite of humus and veggies my taste buds reawakened from the coma of a snack-bars-and-toast diet. A bagel sandwich had never tasted this good. Loitering after eating was actually productive, and I got to do forum post homework! This is about all the homework I can foresee myself doing while here, but #NoRegrets!

Chris Lopez and I watched Un Traductor and the Animation Spotlight today. In that order, one right after the other. Speed walking in the snow is harder and more dangerous than I imagined.

Un Traductor

Brazilian actor Rodrigo Santoro plays Malin, a professor at the University of Havana who teaches Russian Literature. One day he unexpectedly finds that his classes have been cancelled. Malin and his colleagues have been temporarily reassigned to work at a hospital as translators for victims of the Chernobyl nuclear accident. He is assigned the night shift in the children’s ward. He and his wife Isona are forced to navigate the consequences of this assignment.

Co-directors Rodrigo and Sebastián Barriuso based the film on the true story of their parents. Reading this final piece of information before the credits started rolling was like feeling — not watching, just feeling — the entire story all over again. In the final five seconds it took to read those words the Barriuso brothers masterfully provoked emotion from audience. That final communal gasp was delightful. I wonder if the filmmaking process was cathartic for them. How involved were their parents, what did they think of their story being told in this way? We had to run to the next screening and didn’t get to stay for the Q&A with the directors. It may be a while before I get the answers to these questions.

Animation Spotlight

There were some enjoyable animation shorts in this program. Shorts that were funny, emotional, or quirky. There were also some bizarre, almost psychoanalytically uncanny shorts. Shorts that I felt were too long! The winner of the Jury Prize was Glucose. It has its moments…

By far, my favorite was The Driver Is Red. It is an animated documentary set in 1960s Argentina about a covert operation, led by Israeli Mossad agent Zvi Aharoni, to capture Nazi lieutenant colonel Adolf Eichman. It is at the same time educational, aesthetically pleasing, and suspenseful! The voiceover narration draws you in from the start, and the sketch animation aesthetic remarkably accentuates the clandestine nature of the story. I think PBS acquired this short for distribution. I’ll definitely be checking for it.

28 Responses to "Sundance 2018 - Day 5 - Roslyn Hernandez"

1. Some of the things which are mention here. This is not important for us because here nothing interesting for our uk best essays. I am trying to show you all those things which are according to the marketing skills and we need some better things for us.

by Angelckenzie on Sep 11th, 2019 at 9:41 pm
  2. I would certainly figure I would certainly elevate. OK have an interest in corporate greed user interfaces or perhaps site visitor creating a piece or vice versa? My site frequently has a tendency to an authentic plan of the tantamount topics as you have as well as additionally furthermore I approve we will essentially make one of one of the most each other.  page eichenblatt orlando

by Evan Austin on Nov 28th, 2019 at 10:51 pm
  3. My therapist give me “homework” to work during the two weeks till I see my Albanian mate. One of the assignments this week is to find affirmations that would help me get my feeling of worthiness up over the 50% mark. It has been gradually rising over the past year and the goal is to get it over the 50% hump. Maybe one of these would be good for me. Hmmmmmm.

by Albanian guy on Jan 10th, 2020 at 4:56 am
  4. Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success..
    Dentist Bern

5. Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff…I think you’ve made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.
    professional copywriter

by osama shk on Mar 8th, 2020 at 3:39 am
  6. I just couldn’t leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Will be back again frequently to check up on new posts.
    knoxvillerealestateprofessionals.com

by osama shk on Mar 8th, 2020 at 9:32 am
  7. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.
    notary public San Francisco

by osama shk on Mar 9th, 2020 at 9:19 am
  8. Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though.
    twain harte vacation rentals

9. google

by Bernard E Nutt on Apr 1st, 2020 at 9:32 pm
  10. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.
    bluefields

by osama shk on May 3rd, 2020 at 5:23 am
  11. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.
    book of travels

by osama shkdasdssa on May 5th, 2020 at 4:30 am
  12. Indeed, even as the film business keeps on moving its models, the Sundance Film Festival stays a spot where vocations are conceived, Oscar dreams emerge and as much as possible conveyance bargains are made. The current year’s release begins Thursday, Jan. 18, in Park City, Utah and goes through Jan. 28. Here are five films we’re anticipating that could have an effect.

by Paul Bethea on May 14th, 2020 at 10:42 pm
  13. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information…
    pave a driveway

14. Only aspire to mention ones content can be as incredible. This clarity with your post is superb and that i may think you’re a guru for this issue. High-quality along with your concur permit me to to seize your current give to keep modified by using approaching blog post. Thanks a lot hundreds of along with you should go on the pleasurable get the job done.
    solde maroc

15. Thanks for sharing visit Hottest Women Cricketer

by Valerie T. Marley on May 20th, 2020 at 5:27 pm
  16. couchtuner for Mac is a free app that you can easily download 123movies proxy and install on your iMac or MacBook computer.  With it, you can connect to different devices and transfer files over a wireless LAN connection.

Once you have downloaded and installed the file on your computer, you can start using the application to transfer or receive files. The biggest advantage is that adryanlist can connect to any device from any platform. The neptune rising addon allows us to send or receive files at a speed of more than 20 Mbps, something incredible. This high speed makes it easy to send or receive large data in a very short period of time.

Perhaps this is the great advantage of ares wizard kodi, and in addition to working on almost any platform, kodi genesis is not necessary to have the same type of device to be able to connect between them. Both devices will connect only if both devices are connected to the same wireless network or to the same wireless router.

by James pslab Smith on May 21st, 2020 at 3:44 am
  17. We Deliver Local delivers so much more than just fruit and veg.

by Grocery Delivery Company Near Me on Jun 26th, 2020 at 2:49 am
  18. Sundance sounds like a good place to visit. I have never been to a place that has snow before so kinda excited to go there.
    Stop by auto shop los angeles if you have a chance

Remember my personal information
Notify me of follow-up comments?

Please enter the text you see in the image below:

135 N Oakland Ave, Pasadena, CA 91182