Articles

I’ll Push You - An Interview with the Team Behind the Film
With Roslyn Hernandez on October 31, 2017

Journeys are as much about what you let go as they are about what you gain. This is only one of the lessons found in I’ll Push You, a documentary about two best friends, a wheelchair, and a 500 mile pilgrimage. As Patrick Gray pushes his best friend Justin Skeesuck through difficult terrain across northern Spain we get to see personal and spiritual growth demonstrated with such remarkable vulnerability, it’s hard not to relate. Yet, the film is not just about the journey, but the friendship, love, grace, and laughter shared between two friends.

I’ll Push You is not just a film you should watch, but one you should come back to as often as necessary, and as often as possible. The film is premiering as a Fathom event on November 2.

I got to sit and talk with best friends Patrick and Justin and filmmakers Chris Karcher and Terry Parrish after watching the film at a screening at Fuller Theological Seminary. In talking about the film and how they themselves have been affected by it, I got another dose of that inspiring, thoughtful honesty and vulnerability.

Roslyn Hernandez: Justin and Patrick, why did you decided to document this journey, and Chris and Terry, why did you decide that you had to take part in it?

Patrick: I asked my boss for time off, for the six weeks that we thought it would take to make this journey. He wasn’t thrilled about it. Once I explained the dynamics of our relationship and Justin’s idea for the pilgrimage, he got excited. His demeanor changed and he told me, “I’ll do anything in my power to get you the six weeks off, as long as you do everything in your power to document it on film.” When I asked him why, he said, “Because if you don’t, you are selfish and you’re irresponsible. There is too much hope not to share it.” After I recovered from what I felt were harsh words, but really remarkable foresight, I got on the phone with Justin.

Terry: On it’s surface, Christ I agreed, that this is a compelling story, it has a journey, it has best friends, it has what appears to be an asymmetrical dynamic. On that level that was interesting. On a personal level, I have to ask of myself, “In what ways am I connecting to this? In what ways am I Justin; in what ways am I Patrick?” The answers that I came to were deeply compelling to issues that I was dealing with at the time, even in our own dynamic as business partners and our friendship.

RH: In the film, we get to see Justin and Patrick’s experience of letting go. Chris and Terry did you let go of anything?

Terry: I actually walked the journey with them. I carried a key with me that I found early on in the journey. I was trying to walk in a way as to understand a little bit better what they were going through even in a small way. I lay down the key as a symbol of believing that I had to have all the answers and to unlock all the mystery, or to open every door. I have to be able to live with the same kind of uncertainty that Justin was living with, and I had to live with the same kind of uncertainty that even Patrick was wrestling with.

Chris: I think letting go is a continual thing. It stretches us. There have been some challenging moments in our business and in the process of this film. There were a lot of moments that we wanted to include. And it was like we had to leave those things at the cross too. The beauty in that though, is it’s really the only way to move forward. It’s by the continual process of shedding and getting to the essence. Which is something Justin and Patrick brought up abut the journey. It’s that when you’re stripped of everything and you realize, “I don't have all these other distractions, I don't have Facebook and internet and all this stuff that we surround ourselves with and cover up the real opportunity to simplify and understand what we need to give up.” At the end of the day what we are left with is love. The outcome for me is not to say what am I giving up, but what do I embrace. And what I embrace is love.

Justin: When Patrick and I talk about letting go, as we speak around the country. Letting go is laying down your burden so you can pick up a burden for somebody else. There’s a powerful moment when you realize that when you do let down your own burdens it frees up your hands to carry somebody else’s and to lighten somebody else’s load.

Patrick: That’s what Chris hit on about love. For me, when I lay down my burden, it’s all control. Love can’t be nourished if you’re trying to control everything. Love is the one entity that we can press into, that is God that we can’t experience in its full capacity unless we relinquish control. That is the theme I see here, that we all had to let go of control, and certainty in order to move forward.

Chris: That’s even where we are right now. We are hoping that the community and people come see the film and are impacted. But there’s no certainty in anything. I mean we talked about it last night, and then again this morning. Nothing is certain again. We have to let this go, again.

RH: What has been the reaction to the film?

Terry: We have a really good friend of ours who had a deep and visceral emotional response to the film and thats been a constant. People grab to one element or another. There are many places where people are identifying and seeing themselves reflecting back to them in a way that isn't confrontational in an opposing way, but confrontational in an introspective way. We are really grateful for that because that was the experience or making the film.

Justin: I love watching the audience watch the film. Because, you can see the ups and the downs. Its an emotional rollercoaster, but in a good way. It pushes you to reflect on yourself and how are you doing what you are doing in this world for the betterment of others, or how are you doing in letting others find joy in the betterment of you. We’ve met thousand of people and we see a lot of heartache and to see them resonate with this thing we went through. It seems surreal to see the response that has come from the message and the story and it tells me that we are on the right path.

Chris: What most exciting to me is how it maybe changes and puts them on a journey and path of their own. For me, it’s like a one percent change, where if life is a line. You are going on a certain direction, and a little thing happens. It seems little here, but deflected over time, it puts you on a whole monumental trajectory. That’s what I would hope, that maybe in some way the film makes people stop and think about who are my friends and do I love someone that much?

RH: In the film we get to see a bit about where this journey has led Justin and Patrick, can you tell me how this journey has impacted your sense of vocation or calling?

Patrick: For the two of us, Justin and I are working together. I quit my job in January of 2015, not long after we returned. We’ve been on this path of just walking through open doors that God presents to us; speaking, writing, storytelling. I don’t know if it’s a vocation, it’s more of a passion that we get to do.

Terry: One of my struggles, is [I went to art school] and I took design as a function of making my parents happy that I had something that could make money. But, I had been longing for an artist’s path, and an artist’s path is a path of faith. Walking through doors that God presents to you. But it was difficult when we had fifteen employees, selling commercial products, trying to create desire where desire does not exist. I would personally rather not go back to that. Because, for me if there’s a calling is to let people know that they’re not alone and that there’s more to this life than the capitalistic norms of fulfillment that we are given. Being able to tell this story has been a turning point because it has a been nothing but faith.

Everyone: YEAH!

Justin: The whole thing, one massive faith journey.

Terry: So then my vocation is to live that artist life, to be on the walk with God. To say, “If the why is big enough, the how will take care of itself,” which Justin says frequently. So my calling is to touch people and let them know that they are not alone.

123 Responses to "I’ll Push You - An Interview with the Team Behind the Film"

1. Reel spiritually has some suspect on it they will share the interview with the team that will be work behind the film. It was good to have some fiction I visit www.rushmypapers.me this was the site that will able to present along some community to gain knowledge that was useful to have on it.

by Curran Noble on Nov 8th, 2019 at 2:24 am
  2. In fact, even people with extensive film, television, or book expertise may not ... You should consult the other members of your team anytime you hire someone. ... look up the exact quote, so I’ll paraphrase it) that when you gather a group of people ... The personal manager may therefore be pushing you toward this particular ...
    by epicfollowerscanada

by followerscanada on Dec 9th, 2019 at 3:12 am
  3. We deeply value our time with you and take great pride in building authentic relationships. ... We were blessed and honored to be interviewed by Pastor Steve Carter. ... We have been known to shock audiences right after they have screened the film! ... I recommend this speaking team to anyone who seeks a challenging ...
    by best place to buy instagram followers australia

by followersauistralia on Dec 13th, 2019 at 3:43 am
  4. It is actually mostly impossible to see well-qualified parties on this content, unfortunately you seem like you fully grasp which you’re raving about! Regards

epicfollowers

by epicfollowers on Dec 24th, 2019 at 8:10 am
  5. O n behalf of the Gretna Days Foundation I want to encourage the entire ... great events, and you can find them all on our website at www. ... Please check out the list and thank them for their support of ... Everyone loves a parade The Gretna Days parade begins at 10:30 a.m. Saturday. by buy real instagram followers uk

by buyfollowersuk on Dec 24th, 2019 at 8:13 am
  6. I explain that just because you’ve heard of an actor, it doesn’t make him a better choice for a role. ... As for the role of Jim McCormick’s nine-year-old son, Mike, I expect I’ll have open auditions and try ... It’s funny to have a professional conversation with a nine-year-old. ... His new agents are pushing him not to do the movie.
    by buyactivefollowers

by followersuk on Dec 26th, 2019 at 3:28 am
  7. Thanks for such wonderful blog that looks pretty different, I would suggest you please make a proper plan for your blog and start professional blogging as a career, One day you would be smart enough to earn write my assignment  a best of luck my friend, Thanks a lot for your nice support and love.

by shawn kemp on Jan 1st, 2020 at 10:59 pm
  8. The post is really superb. It’s varied accessory information that consists during a basic and necessary method. Thanks for sharing this text. do my paper for me The substance is genuinely composed. This web log is frequently sharing useful actualities. Keep sharing a lot of posts.

by dawson allian on Jan 6th, 2020 at 12:39 am
  9. Glad to read the post as it is really informative. Look forward to reading such more news here. Consult our writer to do your assignment. The assignment helper will revise the content within 24 hours to get an A+ grade for you.

by Keira Tayor on Jan 17th, 2020 at 2:03 am
  10. Excellent erudition Providing by your Article, thank you for taking the time to share with us such a nice article. Amazing insight you have on this, it’s nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists. Kindly visit the LiveWebTutors website we providing the best online assignment help services in Australia.

by Marketing Assignment Help on Feb 4th, 2020 at 8:51 pm
  11. Students come to us to find the best essay maker. If we talk about the reflective essay, it is usually required in a portfolio for admission in higher education. Its introduction gives a general overview of the goals pursued by the student and to what extent the goals have been delivered.

by Omeo Jones on Feb 11th, 2020 at 4:51 am
  12. HELLO

by Gogger jiko on Feb 11th, 2020 at 7:19 pm
  13. if you are the students or professional of statistics or methametics then it’s pleasure for you to knoe that we are providing you the best services of deviation calculator variance and standard deviation calculator

14. Your all write-ups are unique from others. If you guys are unable to make a unique quality assignment and need online assignment help service then contact instant assignment writer.

by eilla jones on Feb 11th, 2020 at 10:00 pm
  15. Excellent information Providing by your Article, thank you for taking the time to share with us such a nice article. Amazing insight you have on this, it’s nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists. Kindly visit livewebtutors website we providing best Assignment Help services in USA.

by assignment help on Feb 11th, 2020 at 11:05 pm
  16. Dial United Airlines Reservations Number and book flights to your desired locations. United Airlines Reservations Number is toll free helpline.

by robert smith on Feb 12th, 2020 at 1:27 am
  17. Install your office.com/Setup by downloading now. Microsoft Office applications are a complete package if multiple integrations like Microsoft Office, Microsoft Power Point, Microsoft Excel etc. All of these programs have their own features and speciality and are used in a lot of industries, small organizations and big organizations.
    McAfee.com/Activate Since the world is developing each day with new computerized advances, digital dangers, malware, information, and harming diseases have additionally turned out to be increasingly more progressed with every day. These digital contamination’s harm a gadget or documents in different ways. McAfee.com/Activate  follows the concept of refine your system, you don’t need to worry about data loss or system failure because of the malfunctions. McAfee.com/Activate   works finely on every system including android and ios and supports device like, computer, laptops, mobile phones and tablets. McAfee.com/Activate  McAfee.com/Activate

by Jack Tucker on Feb 13th, 2020 at 8:05 am
  18. If the students finds it difficult to write their Ignou mba project or doesn’t get time to write the project work due to busy schedule and looking for online writing services help then get in touch with us. Ignou synopsis consist of experienced team of authors and project writing experts who write customize mba project without any plagiarism. We also provide Ignou Blis solved assignment 2019 20 in pdf format.

by Kris Martin on Feb 13th, 2020 at 10:03 pm
  19. It is definitely a great film. Click Logomization and get an appealing brand identity designed.

20. Your article is so convincing that I never stop myself from appreciating this. Thank you for posting this. If you are looking for Online Assignment Help online services and if you want to boost your marks without putting your efforts. If you have time issues, do contact online assignment writing service provider and receive the best assignments as per your job requirements.

by Assignment Help on Feb 14th, 2020 at 4:49 am
Remember my personal information
Notify me of follow-up comments?

Please enter the text you see in the image below:

135 N Oakland Ave, Pasadena, CA 91182